Thursday, April 21, 2011

Count your Blessings



I have always known that I had a wonderful childhood. I did not have to worry where we were going to live, if there was going to be any food in the house, or if I was loved by my parents. Being a teaching for 26 years I have seen a lot of different family situations. Some good, some surprising, and many different from how my family life was. I tell the kids that when we are born we do not come with an instruction book so parents are on their own triying to figure out how to raise their children. I try to not judge a parents situation however something happen yesterday that made me stop and count my blessings.


I have a student that is a senior. His parents are divorce and for most of his life he lived he lived with his mother in Bosie. Last year he moved to Jordan Valley to live with his dad and grandfather. Like many teenagers his father and him have had some disagreements over the years. Yesterday this student came to class early. I could tell that he was not himself. He told me that the night before he had an argument with his father about his ripped pants. (I had told him that if he brought me the pants the next day I would fix them for him) According to my students the argument got bad fast because his father was drunk. I guess the father took a swnig at my student who was able to move out of the way. Fearful of what he might do my student left and went to a freinds house. My student and I called his mother to explain what happen and she decided that she did not want her son to go back to his father's home. With only five weeks of school left what is there to do?? After a few minutes of calling around we found a place for my student to stay at for the remainedr of the school. Thank goodness our little town has a big heart.


This Easter I am reminded how lucky I was and am . There never was a time that I did not feel love from my parents. Loosing my father at the age of 18 was not a joy but I knew he loved me. Now I live in a community where I could ask for help for anything. I feel love and acceptance from my family. I am blessed, truley very blessed thanks to all of you!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love you SO much Aunt Laurie and I know your students love you as much!!