Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The End of Another School

One day until the end of the school year. I am not sure if the teachers are more excited than the students. For me this is not just another year it is the end of my 25th year in Jordan Valley.


When I came here so many years ago I am not sure that I planned to stay this long. As the years continued I realized how a small school district provides a wonderful place for a teacher to flourish. You have a large amount of freedom. The state standards need to be addressed but how you as a teacher elect to teach them is up to you. We have up to date technology and usually if I plan we can find money to keep it up to date.


Not only am I a queen in my classroom but having a small amount of students allows me to listen and learn about their lives. Some of the things I am told are sad but most of the things are exciting. One of favorite parts of the day is when students gather in my room before school starts. Some students are rusingh to complete their homework that is due in 15 minutes but others are there to chat. Maybe about their parents or something that happen in class the day before. All kinds of things. The students in Jordan Valley are a strong breed. Many of them work with their parents on their ranches. They start driving at the age of 3 ot 4 when ever they are old enough to steer the truck. (Usually someting heavy is on the gas petal and they hope they do not have to use the brakes) They would do just about anything for me. All I need to do is ask.



I am usually asked if I miss the students when they graduate. The answer I give is always no. For most of the seniors this is a surprised but as I tell them they will always be in my heart. I am proud that they were in my life but I am also excited of what the rest of their life will be like. There is so much of life to live after graduation. Last Saturday I said "goodbye" to the 25th class that graduated since I have been here. They like of the the classes before them are full of dreams of the future. I can't wait to see if their dreams come true.

1 comment:

Michelle & Luke said...

Wow aunt laurie- 25 years. I think that is amazing. you're such a great teacher and I cannot think of a better job for you- it is really your gift and strength! I always love to hear stories about your students- you guys are such a close knit community & that is something not many people get in their lifetime! Love you so much!!!